Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Be-Genied

"Oh Genie, My Genie" - A Ballad
Copyright Dhiraj Joshi- written during the cold days of Dec-2004 and Jan-2005 to cheer up!!!!

One cold and smoky morning,
I hit upon a lamp;
Whooshh!, a genie popped,
From the metal, so cold and damp.


"A million thanks, my Aakah,
you freed my soul from hell;
My cold and oily spirit did,
in lamp, for ages, dwell".


"Aakah, I was a captive,
Saw a thousand years unfold;
I was red and young and hearty then,
Now I am gray and old".


"And yet, I am full of restless might,
I'll strech my sinew and arm;
I'll take a breath of wonder,
Then behold my magical charm".


"Order me, my Aakah",
The genie was red and blue;
"Can fly you to the shining stars,
And swim the oceans through".


As I stood there, cold and rigid,
Genie donned his dancing shoes;
To the desert songs of Arabia,
Danced away his lampy blues.


And ho, all of a sudden, it dawned,
"Hey genie", I uttered with grace;
"I don't desire the moon and stars,
No riches, nor women's embrace".


"Oh ye' I've always thought of times,
When kings led their lives;
With knights and gold and silver,
And oh, so many wives".


"And yeah, old times were simple,
Men, women walked happy and free;
Wisdom and justice had their way,
The children played in glee".


"So take me to the times, so old,
To the world, years ago";
"Amin!!", the spirit whispered,
"My Aakah, there you go!".


Behold! in a little moment,
I was in ancient times;
The sounds of horse and chariot,
And the temple bells' chimes.


In a distance, stood the palace,
The kings' and queens' den;
With gardens and fountains galore,
Guarded by hundred men.


My eyes, blinded by the shean,
The palace was of gold;
The corridors of silver,
exuded royalness, bold.


Then suddenly, I was grounded,
Handcuffed, bound and gagged;
"He smells like a nosy alien",
The fat guard bragged.


Through the busy street, they pushed me,
"In peace, I come", I wailed;
"King choses your fate, oh alien",
My face dropped and paled.


"Till then, you live in the dungeons,
We'll feed you well and nice;
In court, if the king condemns you,
By God, you'll pay the price".


"The price comes in pieces",
"First, you fight the royal bull;
If you win, you may mary the princess,
If you lose, our swords we pull".


"If you lose, we cut you to pieces,
And feast the birds of prey;
So alien, if you have your God,
All night, you must pray".


I cursed my luck and shivered,
The dungeon was dark and cold;
Prisoners dying in their cells,
Men, women, young and old.


The king's court was crowded,
I was met with icy looks;
Elites loyal to the throne,
Abided by the books.


Blared trumpets, guards shouted,
"Jahanpanah arrives!!!";
Flowers were strewn at his feet,
Next came his daughter and wives.


"Hey alien, explain your business!",
The king was full of scorn;
"You were lurking in my kingdom,
Strange apparel, you have worn".


"O king, I come from the future,
From a thousand years away";
The court roared with laughter,
With the bull, my fate lay.


The court moved to the open,
The bull stood in good sted;
A red cloth, they gave me,
He was rounded and well fed.


The animal sighed and snorted,
His fun had just begun;
With an ugly glare, he eyed me,
And then began to run.


"Oh genie! genie!, help me!,
Save me from this beast;
The bull will surely maul me,
And the birds await my feast".


"The ruler is a tirant,
human rights!, no one cares;
They all live in King's dread,
Defy him, no one dares".


"Carry me to the future",
The bull was now too close;
Then the genie waved, "My aakah,
"Here's the wish, you just chose".


"I'm flying you to the future,
But akaah, I must say;
The future aint no better,
But MAY YOU HAVE YOUR WAY!!".


"True, I can grant your wishes,
Wishes, but only three;
I'll linger for another,
Then I'll pack my bags and flee".


"I'll flee to the sandy beaches,
Watch the sea, so blue;
Get drunk and dance and party,
And marry a girl, so true".


And before I could utter,
I stood on "34th STREET";
New York in YEAR 3000,
Looked awesome and so neat.


Transported to the future,
A thousand years, too far;
Robots walking in rythm,
Talking, driving a car.


Buildings with a thousand storeys,
Cars running at breakneck speed;
I looked around in wonder,
But saw none of my creed.


A slimy machine whispered,
In my ear, "Hey human bait!";
"We've killed all your brothers,
Now you await their fate.


You're thrown in liquid Nitrogen,
You'll lose your flesh and bone;
Your DNA will be taken;
To form a robot clone".


In a second, the scene shifted,
"DEATH CHAMBER", the sign read;
"Genie genie!, come rescue,
Hurry, or I am dead!".


"They'll put me in Nitrogen,
And torture my every cell;
Take me to the PRESENT,
The good world where I dwell".


"Tis your last wish, my aakah,
Next one, I'll decline;
Here!, you're back to your PRESENT,
And I'm off to WOMEN AND WINE!!!".


So folks, that ends my story,
My journey across time;
The genie is high and merry!!,
This line is just to rhyme!!!!!!.

No comments: